No one succeeds alone — yet, most people try to.
One of the biggest mistakes we see people making is that they set goals by themselves, and then they struggle throughout the year because the people who are in their life — the people who have to buy into their goals if they want to accomplish them — aren’t on the same page.
That’s why we created The ONE Thing Couple’s Goal-Setting Retreat, modeling an exercise that Jay and Wendy Papasan have been doing for the past decade. The point isn’t to negotiate for whose goals are right, but for each person to understand what the other person’s goals are and how they can support the other person in achieving those goals. In this episode, we’re going to look at what happens when a couple, for the first time, sets their goals together. The results are pretty amazing, but here’s the best part: you can do it too.
If you want to put the ideas discussed in this episode into action, consider joining us at our Goal-Setting Retreat. And if you can’t make it to Austin this year, we’ll help you host your own retreat with the Kick Ass Guide® to Your Couples Goal Setting Retreat and the Goal Setting Retreat Master Course.
In this episode, you will learn…
- [13:20] How you know when you aren’t on the same page with the people close to you.
- [17:50] What has surprised Jake & Alyx since their goal-setting retreat.
- [25:40] Why you should set goals with not just your significant other, but also your business partner and/or team.
- [29:10] What you should avoid when you’re setting goals.
- [30:00] How to set goals when you aren’t a natural goal setter (and why you should).
Links & Tools From This Episode
- Join us at our Goal-Setting Retreat (Nov. 9th & 10th in Austin, TX): the1thing.com/event.
- Download the FREE Kick Ass Guide® to Your Couples Goal Setting Retreat
- We’ll help you facilitate a retreat with the Goal Setting Retreat Master Course
Are you thinking of making a big life change?
Whether you’re thinking of switching jobs, investing in your personal development, or making a big move in your personal life, a lot can come up to stop you — the uncertainty, the cost, the fear, and not knowing where to start. If you’ve been waiting for a sign that it’s time for the next big thing in your life, say hello to Thinkful, a tech bootcamp focused around your success. You can launch a career completely online with the full support of a mentor, career coaches, and a network based in your local area.
If you’re ready to join the world’s next workforce, head to thinkful.com/theONEthing to learn more.
Do you run a small business?
Small business owners wear a lot of hats. Some of those hats feel incredible to wear. However, filing taxes and running payroll… well, for most of us, they don’t feel great and they’re not our ONE thing. That’s where Gusto comes in to help you make payroll, taxes, and HR easy. So ask yourself, it time to take off some of your hats?
You can get three FREE months when you run your first payroll at Gusto.com/ONE.