What does it take internally to thrive? Psychologists understand that the way in which we navigate our inner world drives every aspect of how we love, live, and lead… but it can be difficult for us to reflect inward and navigate our everyday thoughts, emotions, and self-talk because no one ever taught us how. Our guest, Dr. Susan David, is a clinical psychologist and author of the best-selling book, Emotional Agility: Get Unstuck, Embrace Change, and Thrive in Work and Life. We’re sharing this conversation as a crash course to help you start developing emotional agility and thriving internally. We recorded this conversation as part of our monthly ONE Thing webinar series. Every month, we feature an incredible author so that you can learn directly from them and ask questions. If you want to sign up for our next FREE monthly webinar, head over to the1thing.com/webinars.
The ONE Thing to Implement From This Episode:
You can start having a more effective relationship with your emotions today, and you may be surprised at how powerful an effect this simple shift may have.
Step One: Distance yourself from an emotion you’re holding onto by saying, “I notice I feel _____.”
Step Two: Ask yourself: What is the bigger value that lies underneath that is provoking these emotions? The moment you acknowledge what the underlying value is, the emotions dissipate. Let us know the ONE thing you take action on from this episode by emailing us or sharing it with us on Facebook.
In this episode you will learn…
- [3:10] How Emotional Agility allows you to learn from your emotions.
- [6:15] Why you shouldn’t treat your emotions or thoughts as directions.
- [12:40] How you can bring more focus and transparency to the emotions that you feel, and handle them appropriately.
- [17:55] Why discomfort is the price of admission for a meaningful life.
- [23:10] How you can begin making value-based decisions (and what happens when you don’t live in alignment with your values).
- [33:55] How to set goals based on what you have to do, and not what you want. You can take Susan’s free Emotional Agility quiz for help thinking of values in the context of your emotional agility.
- [40:25] How to help your child navigate their emotions. You can learn more about this in “Teaching Your Child Emotional Agility.”
AWESOME FREE RESOURCES FOR YOU!
- The Kick Ass Guide To Accountability Form your first power habit with your 66 Day Challenge Calendar Check out our awesome blog!
- [FREE Training] How to Start Time Blocking TODAY!
Links & Tools From This Episode
- Take Susan’s free Emotional Agility Quiz: SusanDavid.com/Learn Read
- “Teaching Your Child Emotional Agility” — Get a FREE copy of Emotional Agility on Audible! If you learned as much from Dr. Susan David as we did, you will love her book, Emotional Agility: Get Unstuck, Embrace Change, and Thrive in Work and Life. Audible is sponsoring this episode, which means you can get a copy of Emotional Agility when you create a new account. Go to audible.com/onething, create a new account, and you will receive a free credit for your first book.
Production & Development for The ONE Thing Podcast by Podcast Masters