When in your life were you trained how to communicate with the people who matter most to you? Many of us have never received this kind of training or received it far too late in life – yet, almost all of us have experienced some kind of conflict in our long-term relationships (whether that be with a significant other, business partner, boss, or employee). That’s why we’re sharing this conversation with Dr. Matt Townsend, author, radio host, and relationship expert, who will teach you how to transform the relationships that matter most to you by cutting through the smoke to solve the real problems at hand.
The ONE Thing to Implement From This Episode:
What’s one relationship that really matters to you – and, if you’re honest with yourself, is hurting? Are you showing up in those interactions genuinely caring about the other person first, before considering your agenda? Based on that answer, what is the ONE thing you can do that will allow you to show that person that you care, and make them feel cared for?
In this episode you will learn…
- [5:30] How you can start training in communication skills for relationships.
- [8:40] How you can recognize the smoke (or the pattern) and start identifying what the real fire in your relationships are.
- [12:00] The 7 basic needs that need to be met in every interaction with another human (S.T.A.R.V.E.D.).
- [16:30] Why it’s important to show up in your relationships with no agenda, prepared to be there and nowhere else (especially on a S.T.A.R.V.E.D. issue).
- [25:30] The ONE thing you can do that will completely transform your relationships (and what will prevent you from doing this).
Links & Tools From This Episode
- Learn more at MattTownsend.com
- Connect with Matt: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube
- Read: Starved Stuff: Feeding the 7 Basic Needs of Healthy Relationships by Matt Townsend
- In the month of February, we are dedicating our Living Your ONE Thing membership platform to transforming your relationships. Go to the1thing.com/membership to join us.
Will you help us get to know you better?
We want to learn more about you so that we can better serve you through our content and our acts, so we created a survey that will take you less than one minute to complete. Go to the1thing.com/podcastquiz to take the quiz.
Production & Development for The ONE Thing Podcast by Podcast Masters