Are you the goal setter in your relationship?
Over the past few years, we’ve noticed a common challenge at our Couples Goal Setting Retreats: in most relationships, one person is a goal setter and the other is not, one person is open to trying anything and the other is a skeptic.
There’s nothing wrong with healthy skepticism, but it’s also important to examine how your natural state can influence your ability — and your partner’s ability — to grow. So, with this natural divide in almost every relationship, how can a couple grow together? Dave Hollis, author of the upcoming Get Out of Your Own Way: A Skeptic’s Guide to Growth and Fulfillment and co-host of RISE Together, shares what happened when his partner (past guest Rachel Hollis) started her personal growth journey. While she gained personal momentum, he felt unfulfilled and overcome with fear — and until he confronted the fact that who he was getting further and further away from who he wanted to be, he was stuck. Listen to learn how Dave got out of his own way, and how you can too.
To learn more, and for the complete show notes, visit: the1thing.com/podcast.
We recorded this conversation as part of our monthly ONE Thing webinar series. Every month, we feature an incredible author so that you can learn directly from them and ask questions. If you want to watch the second half of this interview or sign up for our next FREE monthly webinar, head over to the1thing.com/webinars.
In this episode, you will learn…
- [07:30] The first step towards getting out of your own way
- [16:30] Why you have to role model success, not force someone to change
- [18:15] How to use your fear as leverage
- [27:00] Does it matter if you’re succeeding or failing?
- [33:00] How you can your partner can support each other by alternating roles
- [39:15] Why you should stop avoiding that conversation
- [50:00] Who you can look to for inspiration and mentorship
- [55:00] What ‘frontloading’ is and how you can leverage it in your life
Links & Tools From This Episode
- Listen: RISE Together podcast
- Read: Get Out of Your Own Way: A Skeptic’s Guide to Growth and Fulfillment (March 10, 2020)
- Instagram: instagram.com/mrdavehollis
- Facebook: facebook.com/mrdavehollis
- LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/dave-hollis-b5a48671
- Listen “Episode 195: Stop Apologizing for Your ONE Thing | Rachel Hollis”
- Want to be a founding member? Help us create our next event: the1thing.com/summit
- Download your 66-day calendar
Will you help us create our next event?
We’re working on a new mid-year event concept and we want to customize it to you: What topics do you need to learn more about? What are you passionate about? Do you know anyone who is living The ONE Thing with purpose?
Please share your ideas with us at the1thing.com/summit!
Do you run a small business?
Small business owners wear a lot of hats. Some of those hats feel incredible to wear. However, filing taxes and running payroll… well, for most of us, they don’t feel great and they’re not our ONE thing. That’s where Gusto comes in to help you make payroll, taxes, and HR easy. So ask yourself, it time to take off some of your hats?
You can get three FREE months when you run your first payroll at Gusto.com/ONE.